Total Commander newsletter
Total Commander 9.21a final available!
This update fixes a few
problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.21. Complete list of changes.
Download Total Commander 9.21a final now (Free update/Demo
The update is still free for all registered users (also of Windows Commander) - simply install the new demo version over the existing full version.
Total Commander 9.21 final available!
This update fixes a few problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.20. Complete list of
New functions in Total Commander 9.21:
- Lister: Allow to set maximum line length for text when not using word wrap (via wincmd.ini)
- Configure via wcx_ftp.ini whether the current directory should switch back to a re-uploaded file after editing/saving a remote file
Total Commander 9.20 final
The update to 9.20 fixes a few problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.12. Complete list of changes.
for users of release candidate 2 (RC2):If you cannot install the final version over RC2, you will have to reboot your PC to remove RC2 from memory, due to a bug in RC2.
New functions in
Total Commander 9.20:
- When using multiple monitors, the position and size can be stored separately for each screen (switch with Win+Shift+Cursor
- Button bar: Button size and small icon size can now be set separately for each screen scale (dpi)
- Icon from internal association takes precedence
over internal packer icon (e.g. for *.rar)
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] IgnoreDirErrors=1 allows to switch to inaccessible or non-existent directories, shows <Read error!> in file list
- Shift+F7 creates directory in target panel
- Button bar, command line:
support shell GUIDs, e.g. to go to Explorer's recent dirs, use
- Files - change attributes: Button to load attributes from file under cursor in target
- Support for client certificates for ftps (ftp over ssl/tls) from Windows certificate store. Only works with schannel
library on Vista or newer, not openssl
- Set the FTPS mode via prefix: ftpes:// = explicit (MODE TLS), ftpis:// = impicit (encrypted from the start)
Compare by content:
- New placeholder [f]
for "First of each word uppercase (English in Titles)". Certain words like ze=2 face="arial">"a", "an" and "the" are converted to lowercase
Total Commander 9.12 final available!
This update fixes a few problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.10. Complete list of changes.
Total Commander 9.10 final available!
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
New functions in Total Commander 9.10:
- Support for multiple screens with different densities (DPI) per screen on Windows 10 (requires latest release version, "Creators Update", or newer).
- Support for Windows
10 fall Creators Update, mainly OneDrive online only file support
- Set font quality (e.g. force antialiasing on/off)
- Support new pseudo environment variables
from values described here - just leave out the FOLDERID_ prefix, e.g. %$AccountPictures%
- "New folder" (F7) can now use the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool (e.g. date+time), and create multiple directories in one step
using a counter
- "New text file" (Shift+F4) now supports the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool
- "New text file" (Shift+F4) now also
works in archives, on FTP servers, and with file system plugins
- Option to use latest "Everything" tool in Alt+Shift+Enter/Spacebar free space calculations
- Internal 7zip unpacker: Support background unpacking
- Support touch screen scrolling+text selection
Support Unicode names when loading images via Irfanview (needs new Unicode version of Irfanview)
Compare by content:
- Set width in binary mode to 8, 16, 24 or 32 bytes
- New placeholders for inserting current
We are no longer sending new version notifications by e-mail because they were often
deleted by spam filters.
Please use the new manual or automatic update check function, see description here.
Total Commander 9.0/9.0a is available
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
Note: Many new features like folder/drive icons from Explorer, dimmed hidden files, vertical button bar etc. can be disabled via settings
New functions in Total Commander 9:
- Use icons for folders and drives from Explorer, can be switched to old icons via main
settings - icons
- New button bar icons (optional, can be chosen during first start or via right click )
- Vertical button bar (can be disabled via main settings
- Extra space between lines in file list (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Windows 10: Use Windows Photo Viewer instead of Photo app (disable
with wincmd.ini [Configuration] ReplacePhotoApp=0)
- View modes, can be switched manually via menu "Show", or automatically by rules
- Show icons on
folder tabs depending on the displayed folder
- Rubber band selection mode when using left mouse button selection, disable via settings
- Show up to 3 external
devices without drive letter (e.g. Android or Windows Phone) in Alt+F1/F2 drive dropdown list
- Background transfer manager (F5-F2): Show second progress bar with overall progress if available
- Themed text cursor, enable/disable in Configuration - Options - Colors
- Dimmed icons for hidden files/folders (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Show small green arrow as overlay icon when a folder is open, e.g. in tree or when opening very large folder
- Click on tab header with "locked but directory changed
allowed" returns to base directory of that tab
- Better support for high resolution screens
- Default font is now "Segoe UI regular" for new
- Set scaling of dialog boxes (OverrideDPI) via main settings - fonts
- Option to show sizes with 1k=1000bytes instead of 1k=1024bytes
- Option to show numbers in TBytes, with 1 or 2 decimal digits
- Unicode support for
- Inplace rename: Use up/down arrow to jump to previous/next file (configurable)
- F5 Copy/F6 Move: Show combobox with all open tabs and all
subdirectories in the target panel (Shift: Source panel)
- F5 copy: Skip empty dirs by appending |**\ to line "only files of this type"
- Create and
verify additional checksum types: SHA224, SHA384, SHA3_224, SHA3_256, SHA3_384, SHA3_512
- Create checksums separately in each directory
- Speed up hash check of
MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 by using Microsoft Crypto API functions
- Delete files directly (not to recycle bin): In case of errors, ask at the end of the entire operation
- Delete files directly: Also offer "Skip all" when a file is missing
- Re-use threads for delete, loading hints and ID-lists
Disable overwrite confirmation in sync: wincmd.ini [Confirmation] SyncConfirmOverwrite=0
- Support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 with new
openssl dlls (optional) or Windows sChannel library
- Use Windows certificate stores "ROOT" and "CA" to verify purchased server certificates
Always verify certificates now, even when wincmd.pem is missing, since we use the root certs from Internet Explorer now
- Self-signed certs can be trusted with a checkbox in the certificate
- ZIP unpacker: Support new compression method XZ (method 95) with updated tcmdlzma.dll and tclzma64.dll
Support invalid ZIP archives with no CRC in the local header and behind the zip file, e.g. created by owncloud
- Support invalid ZIP archives with UTF-8-encoded names but
missing UTF-8 flag (created by Dropbox)
- Use "Everything" tool for much faster search on NTFS drives, also
on network shares if possible
- Search with content plugins for text on main search page
- Regular expressions supported in more types: Unicode UTF-8+UTF-16,
- New option "Older than" working just like "Not older than"
- Standalone search: Allow to search in search results (after feed to
listbox) and selected files
Compare by content:
- Show only differences, with additional lines above/below the differences, including
- Edit mode: triple click now selects entire line
- New buttons to
insert other fields like parent [P]
- Improved range selection dialog
- If there are duplicate names, or names that already exist, offer to auto-rename to
"name (2).ext", "name (3).ext" etc.
- Undo now supports multiple undo steps (Undo multiple rename operations).
- Ctrl+Shift+Q: Opens Quick View in separate Lister window, updates contents when going to other file
- View files of type RTF, BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, ICO, HTML
with internal viewers also in read-protected folders (via DuplicateHandle)
- Use larger buffer sizes to handle longer blocks of text without line breaks
- Double click/ENTER: Follow .url files pointing to directories within Total Commander. Disable via wincmd.ini
update check via menu Help - Check for updates now, using DNS lookup (TXT record)
- Automatic update check, can be enabled in manual update check function
Ctrl+B in search result = Go to directory of file under cursor
- Read virtual folders like the Network Neighborhood asynchronously (faster initial response) and in a background thread
Directory history: Remember name under cursor and position in list when entering a subdir via double click/Enter
- Content plugins: new content field chooser dialog instead of
menu. Also show field preview for file/dir under cursor
- Synchronize dirs: Compare with multi-part ZIP, supports compare by content and view
- Buttonbar, Start
menu: New Parameter %C1..%C9, %c1..%c9
- to focus specific panels, including tree: cm_FocusSrc, cm_FocusTrg,
- to select/unselect one or more files: cm_Select, cm_Unselect, cm_Reverse
- to open lister: cm_ListOnly, cm_ListMulti,
cm_ListInternalMulti, cm_SeparateQuickView, cm_SeparateQuickInternalOnly
- to save tabs to a specified file: SAVETABS, SAVETABSL, SAVETABSR, SAVETABS2, SAVETABS2L, SAVETABS2R
- cm_wait, accepting wait time in milliseconds, e.g. cm_wait 1000. Can be combined, e.g. em_cmd1,cm_wait 1000,em_cmd2
- cm_100percent accepts parameter 1..100 to set specific position
- Send WM_USER+50 to TC to get various numerical values like index of current file, first file, control window handles etc. (see history.txt)
Installer (of the demo version):
- The Installer now accepts the following options: /AHLMGDUK
D=Create desktop icon,
U=Update if target exists,
K=installs wincmd.key file located in same directory as the installer.
All options accept parameters 1 or 0, e.g. G0 or G1. L accepts language Nr. from
install.inf, e.g. L18=Romanian
- Note: All options MUST be passed as a single parameter after a single slash, not as separate parameters