Total Commander newsletter
Total Commander 9.10 beta 1 available!
There are many new
functions and bugfixes, see the list below. Complete list of bugfixes.
Download Total Commander 9.10 beta 1 now (Free update/Demo version)
The update is still free for all registered users (also of Windows Commander) - please check our update instructions.
New functions in Total Commander 9.10:
- Support for multiple screens with different densities (DPI) per screen on Windows 10 (requires latest release version, "Creators Update", or newer).
Support for Windows 10 fall Creators Update, mainly OneDrive online only file support
- Set font quality (e.g. force antialiasing on/off)
- Support new pseudo environment variables from values described here - just leave out the FOLDERID_ prefix, e.g.
- "New folder" (F7) can now use the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool (e.g.
date+time), and create multiple directories in one step using a counter
- "New text file" (Shift+F4) now supports the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool
- "New text file" (Shift+F4) now also works in archives, on FTP servers, and with file system plugins
- Option to use latest "Everything" tool in Alt+Shift+Enter/Spacebar
free space calculations
- Internal 7zip unpacker: Support background unpacking
touch screen scrolling+text selection
- Support Unicode names when loading images via Irfanview (needs new Unicode version of Irfanview)
- Set width in binary mode to 8, 16, 24 or 32 bytes
placeholders for inserting current date+time
We are no longer sending new version notifications
by e-mail because they were often deleted by spam filters.
Please use the new manual or automatic update check function, see description here.
Total Commander 9.0/9.0a is available now!
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
Note: Many new features like folder/drive icons from Explorer, dimmed hidden files, vertical button
bar etc. can be disabled via settings dialog.
Download Total Commander 9.0a final now (Free update/Demo version)
New functions in Total Commander
- Use icons for folders and drives from Explorer, can be switched to old icons via main settings - icons
New button bar icons (optional, can be chosen during first start or via right click )
- Vertical button bar (can be disabled via main settings - Layout)
space between lines in file list (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Windows 10: Use Windows Photo Viewer instead of Photo app (disable with wincmd.ini [Configuration] ReplacePhotoApp=0)
- View modes, can be switched manually via menu "Show", or automatically by rules
- Show icons on folder tabs depending on the displayed folder
- Rubber band selection mode when using left mouse button selection, disable via settings
- Show up to 3 external devices without drive letter (e.g. Android or Windows
Phone) in Alt+F1/F2 drive dropdown list
- Background transfer manager (F5-F2): Show second progress bar with overall progress if available
- Themed text cursor,
enable/disable in Configuration - Options - Colors
- Dimmed icons for hidden files/folders (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Show small green arrow as
overlay icon when a folder is open, e.g. in tree or when opening very large folder
- Click on tab header with "locked but directory changed allowed" returns to base directory of that tab
- Better support for high resolution screens
- Default font is now "Segoe UI regular" for new installations
Set scaling of dialog boxes (OverrideDPI) via main settings - fonts
- Option to show sizes with 1k=1000bytes instead of 1k=1024bytes
- Option to show numbers in
TBytes, with 1 or 2 decimal digits
- Unicode support for descript.ion files
Inplace rename: Use up/down arrow to jump to previous/next file (configurable)
- F5 Copy/F6 Move: Show combobox with all open tabs and all subdirectories in the target panel (Shift: Source panel)
- F5 copy: Skip empty dirs by appending |**\ to line "only files of this type"
- Create and verify additional checksum types: SHA224, SHA384, SHA3_224,
SHA3_256, SHA3_384, SHA3_512
- Create checksums separately in each directory
- Speed up hash check of MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 by using Microsoft
Crypto API functions
- Delete files directly (not to recycle bin): In case of errors, ask at the end of the entire operation
- Delete files directly: Also offer
"Skip all" when a file is missing
- Re-use threads for delete, loading hints and ID-lists
- Disable overwrite confirmation in sync: wincmd.ini
- Support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 with new openssl dlls (optional) or Windows sChannel
- Use Windows certificate stores "ROOT" and "CA" to verify purchased server certificates
- Always verify certificates now, even when
wincmd.pem is missing, since we use the root certs from Internet Explorer now
- Self-signed certs can be trusted with a checkbox in the certificate dialog
- ZIP unpacker: Support new compression method XZ (method 95) with updated tcmdlzma.dll and tclzma64.dll
- Support invalid ZIP
archives with no CRC in the local header and behind the zip file, e.g. created by owncloud
- Support invalid ZIP archives with UTF-8-encoded names but missing UTF-8 flag (created by Dropbox)
- Use "Everything" tool for much faster search on NTFS drives, also on network shares if possible
- Search with content plugins for text on main search page
- Regular expressions supported in more types: Unicode UTF-8+UTF-16, Office XML
option "Older than" working just like "Not older than"
- Standalone search: Allow to search in search results (after feed to listbox) and selected files
Compare by content:
- Show only differences, with additional lines above/below the differences, including editing
mode: triple click now selects entire line
- New buttons to insert other fields like parent [P]
- Improved range selection dialog
- If there are duplicate names, or names that already exist, offer to auto-rename to "name (2).ext", "name (3).ext" etc.
- Undo now supports multiple undo steps (Undo multiple rename operations).
Opens Quick View in separate Lister window, updates contents when going to other file
- View files of type RTF, BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, ICO, HTML with internal viewers also in read-protected folders (via
- Use larger buffer sizes to handle longer blocks of text without line breaks
- Double click/ENTER: Follow .url files pointing to directories within Total Commander. Disable via wincmd.ini
- Manual update check via menu Help - Check for updates now, using DNS
lookup (TXT record)
- Automatic update check, can be enabled in manual update check function
- Ctrl+B in search result = Go to directory of file under
- Read virtual folders like the Network Neighborhood asynchronously (faster initial response) and in a background thread
- Directory history: Remember name
under cursor and position in list when entering a subdir via double click/Enter
- Content plugins: new content field chooser dialog instead of menu. Also show field preview for file/dir under
- Synchronize dirs: Compare with multi-part ZIP, supports compare by content and view
- Buttonbar, Start menu: New Parameter %C1..%C9, %c1..%c9
- to focus specific panels, including tree: cm_FocusSrc, cm_FocusTrg, cm_FocusLeftTree etc.
- to select/unselect one or more files: cm_Select, cm_Unselect, cm_Reverse
- to open lister: cm_ListOnly, cm_ListMulti, cm_ListInternalMulti, cm_SeparateQuickView,
- to save tabs to a specified file: SAVETABS, SAVETABSL, SAVETABSR, SAVETABS2, SAVETABS2L, SAVETABS2R
- cm_wait, accepting wait time
in milliseconds, e.g. cm_wait 1000. Can be combined, e.g. em_cmd1,cm_wait 1000,em_cmd2
- cm_100percent accepts parameter 1..100 to set specific position of divider
- Send WM_USER+50 to TC to get various numerical values like index of current file, first file, control window handles etc. (see history.txt)
Installer (of the demo
- The Installer now accepts the following options: /AHLMGDUK
U=Update if target exists,
K=installs wincmd.key file located in same directory as the installer.
All options accept parameters 1 or 0, e.g. G0 or G1. L accepts language Nr. from install.inf, e.g. L18=Romanian
Note: All options MUST be passed as a single parameter after a single slash, not as separate parameters