Total Commander newsletter
Total Commander 9.20 final available!
The update to 9.20 fixes
a few problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.12. Complete list of changes.
Important note for users of release candidate 2 (RC2):
If you cannot install the final version over RC2, you will have to reboot your PC to remove RC2 from memory, due to a bug in RC2.
New functions in Total Commander 9.20:
- When using multiple monitors, the position and size can be stored separately for each screen (switch with Win+Shift+Cursor left/right)
Button bar: Button size and small icon size can now be set separately for each screen scale (dpi)
- Icon from internal association takes precedence over internal packer icon (e.g. for *.rar)
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] IgnoreDirErrors=1 allows to switch to inaccessible or non-existent directories, shows <Read error!> in file list instead
- Shift+F7 creates directory in target panel
- Button bar, command line: support shell GUIDs, e.g. to go to Explorer's recent dirs,
- Files - change attributes: Button to load attributes from file under cursor in target panel
- Support for client certificates for ftps (ftp over ssl/tls) from Windows certificate store. Only works with schannel library on Vista or newer, not openssl
- Set the FTPS mode via prefix: ftpes:// = explicit (MODE TLS), ftpis:// = impicit (encrypted from the start)
Compare by content:
- New placeholder [f] for "First of each word uppercase (English in
Titles)". Certain words like ze=2 face="arial">"a", "an" and "the" are converted to lowercase
Download Total Commander 9.20 final
now (Free update/Demo version)
The update is still free for all registered users (also of Windows Commander) - please check our update instructions.
Total Commander 9.12 final available!
This update fixes a few problems found after the release of Total Commander 9.10. Complete list of changes.
Total Commander 9.10 final available!
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
New functions in Total Commander 9.10:
- Support for multiple screens with different densities (DPI) per screen on Windows 10 (requires latest release version, "Creators Update", or newer).
- Support for Windows 10 fall Creators Update, mainly OneDrive online only file support
- Set font quality (e.g. force antialiasing on/off)
new pseudo environment variables from values described here - just leave out the FOLDERID_ prefix, e.g. %$AccountPictures%
- "New folder" (F7) can now use the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool (e.g. date+time), and create
multiple directories in one step using a counter
- "New text file" (Shift+F4) now supports the same placeholders as the multi-rename tool
text file" (Shift+F4) now also works in archives, on FTP servers, and with file system plugins
- Option to use latest "Everything" tool in Alt+Shift+Enter/Spacebar free space
- Internal 7zip unpacker: Support background unpacking
- Support touch
screen scrolling+text selection
- Support Unicode names when loading images via Irfanview (needs new Unicode version of Irfanview)
- Set width in binary mode to 8, 16, 24 or 32 bytes
placeholders for inserting current date+time
We are no longer sending new version notifications
by e-mail because they were often deleted by spam filters.
Please use the new manual or automatic update check function, see description here.
Total Commander 9.0/9.0a is available now!
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
Note: Many new features like folder/drive icons from Explorer, dimmed hidden files, vertical button
bar etc. can be disabled via settings dialog.
New functions in Total Commander 9:
- Use icons for folders and drives from Explorer, can
be switched to old icons via main settings - icons
- New button bar icons (optional, can be chosen during first start or via right click )
- Vertical button bar
(can be disabled via main settings - Layout)
- Extra space between lines in file list (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Windows 10: Use Windows Photo
Viewer instead of Photo app (disable with wincmd.ini [Configuration] ReplacePhotoApp=0)
- View modes, can be switched manually via menu "Show", or automatically by rules
- Show icons on folder tabs depending on the displayed folder
- Rubber band selection mode when using left mouse button selection, disable via settings
- Show up to 3 external devices without drive letter (e.g. Android or Windows Phone) in Alt+F1/F2 drive dropdown list
- Background transfer manager (F5-F2): Show second progress bar with
overall progress if available
- Themed text cursor, enable/disable in Configuration - Options - Colors
- Dimmed icons for hidden files/folders (configurable via
main settings - Icons)
- Show small green arrow as overlay icon when a folder is open, e.g. in tree or when opening very large folder
- Click on tab header with
"locked but directory changed allowed" returns to base directory of that tab
- Better support for high resolution screens
- Default font is now
"Segoe UI regular" for new installations
- Set scaling of dialog boxes (OverrideDPI) via main settings - fonts
- Option to show sizes with 1k=1000bytes
instead of 1k=1024bytes
- Option to show numbers in TBytes, with 1 or 2 decimal digits
- Unicode support for descript.ion files
- Inplace rename: Use up/down arrow to jump to previous/next file (configurable)
- F5 Copy/F6 Move: Show
combobox with all open tabs and all subdirectories in the target panel (Shift: Source panel)
- F5 copy: Skip empty dirs by appending |**\ to line "only files of this type"
Create and verify additional checksum types: SHA224, SHA384, SHA3_224, SHA3_256, SHA3_384, SHA3_512
- Create checksums separately in each directory
- Speed up hash check of MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 by using Microsoft Crypto API functions
- Delete files directly (not to recycle bin): In case of errors, ask at the end of the
- Delete files directly: Also offer "Skip all" when a file is missing
- Re-use threads for delete, loading hints and ID-lists
- Disable overwrite confirmation in sync: wincmd.ini [Confirmation] SyncConfirmOverwrite=0
- Support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 with new openssl dlls (optional) or Windows sChannel library
- Use Windows certificate stores "ROOT" and "CA" to verify purchased server
- Always verify certificates now, even when wincmd.pem is missing, since we use the root certs from Internet Explorer now
- Self-signed certs can be
trusted with a checkbox in the certificate dialog
- ZIP unpacker: Support new compression method XZ (method 95) with updated
tcmdlzma.dll and tclzma64.dll
- Support invalid ZIP archives with no CRC in the local header and behind the zip file, e.g. created by owncloud
- Support invalid
ZIP archives with UTF-8-encoded names but missing UTF-8 flag (created by Dropbox)
- Use "Everything" tool for
much faster search on NTFS drives, also on network shares if possible
- Search with content plugins for text on main search page
- Regular expressions supported
in more types: Unicode UTF-8+UTF-16, Office XML
- New option "Older than" working just like "Not older than"
- Standalone search: Allow to
search in search results (after feed to listbox) and selected files
Compare by content:
- Show only differences, with additional lines
above/below the differences, including editing
- Edit mode: triple click now selects entire line
- New buttons to insert other fields like parent [P]
- Improved range selection dialog
- If there are duplicate names, or names that already
exist, offer to auto-rename to "name (2).ext", "name (3).ext" etc.
- Undo now supports multiple undo steps (Undo multiple rename operations).
- Ctrl+Shift+Q: Opens Quick View in separate Lister window, updates contents when going to other file
- View files of
type RTF, BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, ICO, HTML with internal viewers also in read-protected folders (via DuplicateHandle)
- Use larger buffer sizes to handle longer blocks of text without line breaks
- Double click/ENTER: Follow .url files pointing to directories within Total Commander. Disable via wincmd.ini
- Manual update check via menu Help - Check for updates now, using DNS lookup (TXT record)
- Automatic update check, can be enabled in manual update check function
- Ctrl+B in search result = Go to directory of file under cursor
- Read virtual folders like the Network Neighborhood asynchronously (faster initial response) and in a
- Directory history: Remember name under cursor and position in list when entering a subdir via double click/Enter
- Content plugins: new
content field chooser dialog instead of menu. Also show field preview for file/dir under cursor
- Synchronize dirs: Compare with multi-part ZIP, supports compare by content and view
Buttonbar, Start menu: New Parameter %C1..%C9, %c1..%c9
- to focus specific panels,
including tree: cm_FocusSrc, cm_FocusTrg, cm_FocusLeftTree etc.
- to select/unselect one or more files: cm_Select, cm_Unselect, cm_Reverse
- to open lister:
cm_ListOnly, cm_ListMulti, cm_ListInternalMulti, cm_SeparateQuickView, cm_SeparateQuickInternalOnly
- to save tabs to a specified file: SAVETABS, SAVETABSL, SAVETABSR, SAVETABS2, SAVETABS2L,
- cm_wait, accepting wait time in milliseconds, e.g. cm_wait 1000. Can be combined, e.g. em_cmd1,cm_wait 1000,em_cmd2
- cm_100percent accepts parameter
1..100 to set specific position of divider
- Send WM_USER+50 to TC to get various numerical values like index of current file, first file, control window handles etc. (see history.txt)
Installer (of the demo version):
- The Installer now accepts the following options: /AHLMGDUK
D=Create desktop icon,
U=Update if target exists,
K=installs wincmd.key file located in same directory as the installer.
All options accept parameters 1 or 0, e.g. G0 or G1. L
accepts language Nr. from install.inf, e.g. L18=Romanian
- Note: All options MUST be passed as a single parameter after a single slash, not as separate parameters