What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.80:
- Unpack ZIP/RAR files >4GB
- Android 7 support
- New button commands for media player
- m4a+wav files in ringtone picker
- Better handling of external USB+SD-Cards
- Show warning about Purify, Greenify...
- Move files from/to external SD-Cards/USB drives
- Bugfixes: Media scanner, remount partitions on Android N
- Remember last playlist
- Sleep timer
- Floating notifications (new track)
- Load album art from cover.jpg/png/gif
- Show current track nr+total in the notification
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.71-2.73 final:
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.70:
- Android 6: External file system access using new "User-defined location" button
- Android 5: Remember the write rights for multiple SD cards/USB drives
- Help viewer: reload and exit buttons
- Media player: Support pre-buffering about 15 seconds before a track ends, reduces gap between tracks
- Media player: Pause when unplugging headset or disconnecting bluetooth headset, resume when reconnecting
- Use internal Web Browser and HttpUrlConnection for downloading and installing plugins (only if there is no play store installed)
- Hide plugins (via context menu) from the home folder without uninstalling them
- New languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Lithuanian
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.61/2.62 final:
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.60 final:
- Android 5: Write to external SD card with new functions
- Icon spacing now larger by default, configurable
- New flat icons for toolbar and file list, configurable
- Create new folder in "Save as" dialog
- Search only in selected folders (and files)
- MediaPlayer: Use new Android 5 functions for notifications
- MediaPlayer notifications: Small "x" button to directly close the player
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.50 final:
- Android 4.4: Show link to private writable folder on external SD card
- Direct plugin to plugin copy functions, also used to download files to locked external SD-Card
- Context menu item to hide items in home folder
- Context menu item "Unpack all selected" when selecting multiple files
- "Verify" button in "Unpack" and "Unpack all selected"
- UnRAR support for x86-based devices and emulators (like BlueStacks)
- Create desktop (launcher) icons with user-defined text, icon and even the target app
- Create links to plugins on Android Desktop (launcher)
- Create Bookmarks with both source and target path (for other panel)
- Support the "Share" button in other apps to send files to TC
- SFTP Plugin: New, stronger crypto methods
- MediaPlayer: New audio effects
- MediaPlayer: show album art on lock screen
- MediaPlayer: Option (in context menu) to repeat entire queue in a loop
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.04 final:
- MediaPlayer: Show controls on lock screen (Android 4.0 or newer)
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.03 final:
- Choose between Dark and Light background theme
- Support for holo theme on newer Android versions
- Copy timestamp as root when it fails with normal user rights
- Detect external SD-Cards+USB drives also on Android 4.3
- MediaPlayer: Permanently delete selected files via context menu
- MediaPlayer: Tap on video while controls are shown to pause/continue the video
- MediaPlayer: Swipe up or down on the left side of the video now adjusts the brightness
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.02 final:
- Support for more types of mount points (linking to SD cards and USB sticks)
- Internal associations: Support double extensions like .fb2.zip
- Support file associations without MIME type (only by extension)
- MediaPlayer: Handle headset buttons play/pause, next, previous
- MediaPlayer: Save last position in files longer than 10 minutes
- MediaPlayer: Show play/pause and next buttons directly in notification
- New language: Hebrew
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.01 final:
- Context menu now allows to add FLAC files to internal media player
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.0 final:
- Use a better method to avoid that background operations are aborted by the system
- Multi-Window support for Samsung Galaxy N7000, N7100 and N8000
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.0 beta 4:
- Select a range of files with a long tap on the file icon
- True full screen video on some Android 4 devices (no bottom bar)
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.0 beta 3:
- Drag&Drop in virtual 2 panel mode: Scroll to other panel to drop files to a subdir
- File properties: Enter permissions manually, in 3 or 4 digit format
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.0 beta 2:
- Trying to open a file without association will now open a context menu with options 'Open as' and 'Edit'
- Close TC on back button long press while the button is still down
- New internal command to turn hidden files (starting with a dot) on/off
- Properties dialog: Show UID and GID also on not rooted devices if available
What's new in Total Commander/Android 2.0 beta 1:
- Audio/Video-Player, can stream from Internet and from (updated) plugins
- Drag&Drop in file lists (by holding down finger on file icon)
- Scroll thumb also in the editor
- Write to restricted external SD cards
- Set owner and group for a file or multiple files
- Root mode: Ask for permissions when copying, deleting, and saving file in the editor
- Custom date/time format
- Improved stability of background operations (file functions)
- Prevent operations from pausing when screen is turned off
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 final:
- Always show hint about how to select files when user taps on a command button without choosing anything
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 7 (RC7):
- Copying while TC is in background: Start service to avoid that TC is closed
- Show USB host in home folder while a drive is connected
- Full screen mode also on Android 3 and 4
- Send via Bluetooth: big speedup
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 6 (RC6):
- Support for MIPS processors
- Improved root function handling with internal root tool
- Background operations with icon in the Android notification bar
- New language: Vietnamese
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 5 (RC5):
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 4 (RC4):
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 3 (RC3):
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 2 (RC2):
- Button bar: Support parameters also in command type "Launch app (main function)"
- Moved thumbnail cache location to Android/data/... on SD-Card
- New language: Korean
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 release candidate 1 (RC1):
- Notify media library (e.g. for media player) about copied, moved, renamed, downloaded and unpacked files
- Open files as zip files even if they don't have the .zip extension (e.g. .jar)
- Parameter %M for first selected file in other panel
- Internal "Installed Apps" plugin: Show version number and SD-card status in name, show install date+time
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 10:
- New internal commands (for buttons): "Go back", "Go forward", "Ignore list on/off", "Copy to clipboard", "Save to file" (with or without full path)
- Configuration option to always use root functions when reading directories (except on SD card)
- Going up from SD-Card root now jumps directory to home folder (except when root functions are always on)
- New language: Slovenian
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 9:
- Menu item "Open as": New option "text"
- Enable logging to file: Just create file named log.txt in /mnt/sdcard/.TotalCommander
- Show icon of plugin in the button bar, only show txt/bin/auto if plugin supports it
- Show link targets (only works when directory is loaded in root mode)
- New language: Italian
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 8:
- Send multiple selected files to one app via context menu, e.g. JPG to Picasa or anything to GMail as attachments
- Support root functions in links (on the Android home screen), browse dialogs in bookmarks and copy/move dialog
- New language: Romanian
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 7:
- Show dialog box when user clicks on .apk file which shows version of this file and version of already installed program
- Keep cursor on current file in the following operations: copy, move, delete, set time
- New language: Danish
- New plugin: WebDAV (Web folders)
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 6:
- Text editor: Faster scrolling (by embedding the text control in one or 2 scrollviews)
- Search with root function
- Create links to TC on home screen, with current directory for the active panel as a parameter
- Support "File open" dialog in other programs like GMail (GET_CONTENT intent)
- Support open intents for "pick file" and "pick folder"
- Third user-changeable button in the home folder, default is "download"
- Send shell command via button
- Option to ask user to save file when exiting editor with BACK button
- LAN plugin: Load directories in another thread, so the abort button reacts immediately
- New languages: Hellenic (Greek), Traditional Chinese, Spanish
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 5:
- Root mode: Support for more devices (where toolbox program isn't installed)
- Allows to hide the title bar and notification bar (full screen mode)
- Use images instead of text for swap and equalize buttons (because the text wasn't shown at all on Android 3)
- Czech Help
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 4:
- Internal associations to override system associations
- Root functions: browse protected folders like /data, copy files from/to these folders, new folder, delete (requires root rights)
- Re-mount drive as read/write or read only (requires root access)
- Browse button in "New bookmark" and "Copy target" dialogs
- New internal command to go up one level
- Thumbnails: Extract those first which are in the currently visible part of the list
- Button bar: Let the user choose any image file from SD-card
- Also load directories in background thread, show abort dialog for slow operations
- Change the locations of the two links "Photos" and "SD-Card" in the Home folder
- FTP Plugin: Support Microsoft IIS
- LAN Plugin: Workgroups can now also be browsed, use name: /workgroupname
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 3:
- Move user button in button bar to the left/right
- Let the user choose the user interface language
- Edit file from plugin (e.g. FTP server) by temporarily downloading it
- Edit file from zip or rar, re-pack to zip only
- Command to calculate space occupied by the subfolders
- Support for external keyboard
- LAN plugin: Offer to turn WiFi on when connecting
- Keep screen on during file operations
- 2 Panels side by side: Ignore first click in inactive panel, just make it active
- Create new text file (in context menu of any folder or "..")
- New internal commands for "new file", "go to root", "refresh"
- "Open as" menu item for files which do not have any association
What's new in Total Commander/Android 1.0 beta 2:
- This help file
- User-defined buttons
- Show number of selected and total files/folders in title bar
- History button for "select files", "search"
- Select files: User can choose to select only files or only folders, or both
- Send to, Open With
- Show App icons for .apk files
- ZIP packer: UTF-8 for packing foreign names
- Acra crash report tool
The user interface is divided into the following elements:
- The title bar, showing the number of selected and total files/folders.
- The current path of the folder currently shown
- One or two file panels (configurable) showing the list of files/folders
- In virtual panel mode, two buttons at the edge of the screen:
- Arrow button to swap panels
- Equal sign button to set the same folder in the other panel as in the active panel
- The top item in the list allows to go to the parent, root or reload the current directory
- A button bar (toolbar) which contains buttons for some internal commands, but also allows to add external programs.
- The main menu, which is shown when pressing the menu button.
There are several ways to select files and folders in Total Commander:
- Tap on the icons
- Use the select button in the lower left corner
- a. Long tap on icon to show selection menu
b. Choose "Select files"
c. Scroll to last item you want to select
d. Tap on its ICON to select the entire range
You can perform the following file operations with Total Commander/Android:
The main menu contains the following commands:
Shows the last visited directories.
Just tap on a directory to go there.
Allows to save often used directories.
Just tap on a saved directory to go there.
To add a directory, don't come here via home screen! Instead, go to the directory first, then add it via main menu.
Allows to search for specific files:
File name to search for, also partial names and wildcards *,? allowed
Search for text in files
Search for text in Unicode files
Not older than:
Search only files younger than a certain time
Restrict results by size
Closes Total Commander for Android
Allows to create a new subfolder in the current directory.
Allows to change Total Commander settings.
- About/Version Information: Shows about box
- Help / Licenses: Shows this help
- Language: Choose the language of the user interface independent from Android
- Date/time format: Choose the timestamp format for the file lists and properties
- Show hidden files/folders: Show files/folders where the name starts with a dot
- Hide files (ignore): Hide files depending on their name, either system-wide (only name given), or in specific folders only
- Fonts and colors: Choose font, foreground and background color for file lists. You can also increase the minimum line height if you have troubles to tap on files
- Sounds/Music: Configure sounds for background operations (message box and operation complete), and the context menu for the music player
- Internal associations: Define file associations bypassing the Android file associations
- Thumbnails: Turn thumbnails for jpg/gif/png/bmp files on/off. Choose to use a cache or not, clear the cache
- Full screen (no title): Turn off the title bar within TC
- Hide notification bar: Turn off the system's notification bar (android 2.3 or older)
- List window arrangement: Show two lists side by side, or two virtual panels. Show one or two button bars
- Side scroll: In the mode with just one visible file panel, you can use a wipe gesture to swap the two panels when this option is checked. Otherwise only the arrow button can be used
- Exit via BACK button: Determines whether the BACK button is used for going to the parent directory or for closing the program
- Root functions everywhere: Use root functions to read directory lists wherever possible
To copy or move files, select them by tapping on their icons, or with the select button, then tap on the Copy/Move button.
In the copy dialog, you can now type a target directory. The default is the directory of the target panel.
To copy the file(s), click Copy, or to move them, click Move, or send them via Bluetooth or Wifi.
If the source window shows the contents of a ZIP or RAR file, the selected files are unpacked.
If the target window shows the contents of a ZIP file, the selected files are packed into that zip file.
If the source window lists the contents of a plugin, the selected files will be downloaded.
If the target window lists the contents of a plugin, the selected files will be uploaded.
Allows to rename a single file in place: Hold down the finger/pen on a file until the context menu appears, then tap on "Rename".
Hold down the finger/pen on a file until the context menu appears, then tap on "Edit file".
This loads the file under the cursor into the default file editor, or shows a list of available editors.
Internal editor help
With the X button you can delete the selected files.
Important note: The files will NOT be moved to some kind of Recycle bin, they will be deleted immediately!
Allows to pack the selected files and/or subdirectories with the built-in ZIP packer.
ZIP files created this way are fully ZIP-compatible and can be unzipped on the PC or
also on the device. To unzip, open the file with ENTER (or tap) and then
copy the files to any directory you want.
To unpack files from a ZIP file, open the ZIP with a tap or ENTER, then select
the files which you want to unpack and press the Copy button.
Total Commander can unpack all ZIP- and RAR-compatible files.
Shows the properties of the selected file(s) and allows to change the date/time.
For folders, the occupied disk space is shown.
Reloads the current directory to reflect any changes made in other programs.
Allows to send the selected files via Bluetooth (OBEX standard protocol).
The OBEX standard is used by devices like PocketPCs, Palm(TM), and many mobile phones.
Allows to send the selected files via Wifi by creating a local WebDAV server. Needs the Wifi plugin.
The server URL will also be shown as a QR code. As a target, it's possible to use the Wifi plugin
on other Android devices, or any QR-Code reader together with a Web browser.
Allows to select or unselect files of specific types, e.g. all html files by using
the wildcards *.htm *.html .
Type the wildcards you want or select previously used wildcards from the dropdown
list, and click on "select" or "unselect". The files will be selected in addition to
the already selected files!
Context menus are invoked by holding down the finger/pen for about 1 second. They exist for
the files in the file list, and for some buttons in the button bar:
The local file menu contains the commands Rename, Properties, Copy/Move to clipboard, Paste here.
For audio and video files, there are additional menu items for the internal player.
All user-defined buttons also have context menus to change or delete them
On devices with a keyboard, or when using a Bluetooth keyboard, Total Commander supports the following keyboard shortcuts:
|SPACE||Select single file|
|*||Reverse selection (files+folders)|
|# / @||Properties|
|ESC/Backspace||Up one level|
The button bar contains some predefined buttons, like Copy and Delete, and also allows
to add your own buttons by tapping on the "add" button (the last one behind all user buttons). The button
will always be added at the end of the button bar, but just before the "add" button.
Description of the buttons:
Select/unselect files. You can also directly tap on the file icons to select them.
Copy or move selected files, send via Bluetooth.
Pack files with ZIP packer.
Delete selected file(s).
Sort active panel by name, extension, size, or timestamp.
Open secondary bar with user-defined buttons.
Add current directory to button bar (default), or let the user choose an internal command or external application. Edit via Tap+Hold.
To modify a user-defined button, tap on it for more than 1 second. This will open the context menu,
which allows to change or delete the button.
See Dialog box - change button
Button change dialog
This dialog allows to change the settings of a button.
- Function type: Choose what the button should do:
- Change directory: Go to directory inside of Total Commander
- Internal command: Start command inside of Total Commander
- Launch app: Starts other program, usually without parameters
- View file with app: Uses the VIEW option to launch a program, pass first selected file to it
- Send to app: Uses the SEND option to launch a program, pass first selected file to it
- Send shell command: Send command to the operating system. Command must be either sh or su (for rooted devices), parameter the actual command(s).
A ? as the first character of the parameters opens a dialog to change the shell command.
A * as the first character (or behind the ?) shows the results in a dialog box, and allows to copy them to the clipboard.
- Command: Tap on the >> button to select an appropriate command for the chosen function type
- Parameters: Parameter(s) passed to the program. See below for a list of supported parameters
- Icon: Icon to be shown in the button bar
(Multiple lines allowed, one parameter per line!)
Send file name as URL
Send any URL to app
Send name as STREAM extra field
Set explicit MIME type
Set extra field of name android.intent.extra.NAME with value data
Set extra field of name NAME with value data
Extra field requiring string list
Send the list of selected files as URL list via putParcelableArrayListExtra.
Automatically sets MIME type to type common to all files, e.g. audio/mp3, audio/*, */*
Also changes ACTION_SEND to ACTION_SEND_MULTIPLE
Like list:, but sets name used by putParcelableArrayListExtra.
%P current path name (with trailing slash)
%N name of first selected file
%T current path in other panel
%M name of first selected file in other panel
Example: Send a mail with attachment to 2 recipients:
Command: Send to App: GMail
extra:SUBJECT:File for you
extra:TEXT:Here is the file %N
The internal editor allows to edit small files in ANSI and Unicode format.
- Save: Save current file
- Save as: Save with different name
- Close: Close editor without saving
- Settings: Choose font, colors, and word wrap
- Find: Find text
- Find next: Continue search
Note: Copy/Paste can be performed via the context menu
TC Media Player
The internal media player allows to play audio and video files supported by Android itself, using the built-in MediaPlayer control.
It can stream music and video from the Internet and from (updated) plugins.
- Add files: Switches to TC and enables a special mode to add files with a single tap to the queue
- Load playlist: Loads playlist in pls, m3u, m3u8 or xspf format
- Save playlist: Save playlist in m3u or m3u8 (Unicode) format
- Exit: Close player
Description of the buttons:
Only during full screen video playback (landscape mode): Allows to zoom the video. It can be zoomed as follows:|
1:1 Square pixels are assumed
100% Full screen (no borders)
16:9 Zoomed to 16:9 format
4:3 Zoomed to 4:3 format
Opens the equalizer. The icon is green when the equalizer is enabled. Requires Android 2.3 or newer.
Play previous file in queue.
Play/resume playing current file.
Pause currently playing file.
Play next file in queue.
Close player and delete queue.
Plugins can be accessed via the home screen.
The following plugins are currently available:
Installed Apps Plugin
The Installed Apps plugin lists all the installed third party applications
You can perform the following operations on them:
- Uninstall by selecting some apps and tapping on the delete button
- View application settings by tapping on an app
- Backup apps to SD-Card with the Copy button
- Add apps from SD-Card with the Copy button
The ftp plugin allows to make connections to ftp servers.
Tap on <New connection> to create a new connection. Then enter a connection name.
You can now specify server name and port, user, password, remote directory, commands to send on connect
(separate multiple commands by a ;), server type, firewall, passive mode and file name encoding.
Tap on a connection to connect. After connecting, the packer icon will change to a connection
icon. Use this icon to change the transfer mode (binary, text or automatic), and to disconnect.
Only a single connection is supported at the same time per panel.
If your server isn't detected, you can define a server type in Total Commander for Windows
and import it into the Android version. To do this, open your wcx_ftp.ini, and look for a section
Template1=pppppppppp !S* TTT DDDDDDDD n*
Save this to a file called (in this example) Unix1.ini, transfer it to the SD-Card of your
Android device, and then use the option "load detect string".
This opens another dialog for the configuration of your firewall. All firewall types of the
desktop Total Commander are supported, except for the HTTP type. Leave the user name and
password fields empty if your firewall doesn't support them. The first type is the most common,
so try this first.
The LAN plugin allows to access often accessed servers in the LAN (local area network) via smb (Windows file sharing).
1. Tap on <new server>
2. Enter a name for the list, e.g. Server1
3. Enter the server name in the network
To be able to connect, you need a real LAN connection to your network (e.g. via WLAN).
The SFTP plugin allows to connect to SFTP servers (file transfers over SSH).
For FTPS (FTP over SSL) you need to use the FTP plugin.
The following plugins for cloud services are currently available:
- Drive (Google Drive): Uses the Google account stored on the device
- OneDrive (Windows Live): Access to the Microsoft cloud
Connect to WebDAV servers, e.g. by GMX, OwnCloud or CPanel servers (port 2078).
WiFi (WLAN) plugin
Allows to send files and URLs between two Android devices, or from one Android device
to any PC, tablet or smartphone with a web browser.
Send: Select some files, tap on
and then on "via WiFi".
Receive: Tap on "WiFi Transfer" in the Home folder. Then scan the QR code, or enter the URL manually.
Access to USB sticks via USB on the go on devices which normally don't allow the access, like the Nexus 7 and 10.
Here are some known problems and possible solutions:
Q: Total Commander for Android fails to access some network shares.
A: Try to use the numeric IP address instead of the server name
Q: Total Commander for Android fails to send a file via Bluetooth on my custom ROM.
A: Some custom ROMs (e.g. Villarom 12.0.0 on HTC Hero) do not implement Bluetooth correctly.
Try with a different Bluetooth program like Blueobex whether this is the case. Please contact us
if other Bluetooth tools work but Total Commander doesn't.